Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Reflections from Mexico - Marcia

I can’t believe this is my fifth year going to Hogar de Amor. Each year I make curtains for various houses using my sewing machine skills. This year, the house parents at Casa Golondrinas asked for new curtains to help block the sun. They were very happy with the results.

I have often wondered if one week a year makes a difference in the children’s lives. We play games, organize crafts and give them lots of love and hugs. It seems that their needs are so great and we do so little. The answer came from Joel, a house parent at Casa Matriz.

I have quoted him as closely as I can remember. “Thank you for loving the children and playing with them. They often don't have happy memories of their childhood, but you have given the children something happy to remember.”

After those words of encouragement, we made a circle, with the CenterPoint workers in the middle. The children and Hogar de Amor adults surrounded us and prayed for us. There was not a dry eye in the place.

Yes, we make a difference. This year Scott and I decided to sponsor a child. Esmeralda touched my heart. She gave me one of her “scratchy eggs” and wrote “I love you”.

I carry all the children in my heart, I am so glad I can give back to this wonderful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment