Monday, April 7, 2014

Reflections on Serving - Sarah

Wow… Mexico was incredible and so far the best week of my life! One thing that God kept pressing on my heart was the lesson of being fearless and to go forth and live a life fulfilled in Christ.

I have been praying for an opportunity for God to use me as a tool in his kingdom and when the opportunity of a mission trip came up I didn’t think twice; and not to mention the trip landed on the exact week of my universities spring break… crazy right! It seemed as if God led me to this group and helped fill a little bit of my wanderlust!

Throughout this adventure I felt immense love from my team members and not to mention the kids at the orphanage stole my heart! Even with the language barrier and not knowing each other for a long period of time we clicked like that! The love and excitement from those around me filled me with a spiritual high.

Living in Utah County I often feel bogged down and discouraged by the overwhelming culture. From the planning stages I had a few friends a little less than excited about my endeavors. In a time of discouragement God kept pressing on my heart the reminder of my focus…Him; He was after all the reason I was going on this trip.

Many times along the planning stages and on the trip I saw God’s work. The fact that the trip was on my spring break was crazy and being a poor college student the idea of being able to afford this trip seemed so far gone…yet God strikes again, and I was able to fundraise enough money to go to Mexico.

Finally, the expressions of the children were works of God in itself. Every time these children saw us they were thrilled and loved to love on us. The moment I arrived at the orphanage it seemed as if I had a kid hugging me in seconds and I was being challenged for a game of tag. God also presented the opportunity for me to use my passion of photography to serve these children, by taking pictures of each kid. Needless to say, for these kids to have something to call their own was very rare. Taking that into consideration we gave each child the photo I took them; the kids lit up and I was reminded why I originally pursued photography.

The opportunity to serve the “least of these” was life changing and carried on the lesson to be fearless and to go forth in a life fulfilled in Christ. Sometimes all we need to do is follow God’s opportunities he has opened for us and remember he’s got this! … Micah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment