Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Reflections on Serving - Dan

My 14 year old son and I just returned from a week long missions trip to Colima, Mexico. We went to serve the children and workers at several orphanages. There were several reasons why I went on this trip. One was that I wanted my son to see how people live in a different part of the world, a part of the world that seems to be a little slower, a little more laid back, a little more grateful. Another reason to go was because I went last year and was excited to see the kids and workers that we fell in love with last year. I also went because God called me to go. He has put a longing in my heart for the Mexican people. He has drawn me toward Mexico for years. He has softened my heart toward them.

For the last two years I've gone to Mexico to serve. However, when I return home I find that I am changed more than the others that I went to see. You see I had this preconceived notion that I had something that the kids wanted and even needed. I had items to bring to them (coloring books, crayons, toothpaste and toothbrushes), I had something different for their daily routine, I could bring joy into their hurting lives, I could bring the love of Christ. However, I found that they already had Christ in their daily routine. They knew that Christ loved them and it was awesome to share that with them. They were very appreciative of the things that we brought them, but it was in the act of giving, the personal one on one time, that they most appreciated.

I was also encouraged by the workers at the orphanage. I was encouraged by the way they give and give and give some more. I was excited that God put these people in charge and that they accepted the calling to help with the children. I was encouraged by how the children love so purely. How they are just so full of joy. How is it that these kids can be so happy? They have been neglected by their parents, immediate family and even family friends. They have nothing, but at the same time they have everything... They have love.

In reflection, I find that things get in the way. I really don't need my iPad, my iPhone, my computer, my TV or even my car. I really don't need any of those things. There is a love and joy that these orphans have that I can't comprehend. There is a love and happiness that these kids have that is so pure.

What I found in Mexico was that I was the one that was missing out. I found that I was the one that was missing something, I was the one that needed the kids more than they needed me. I found that the simple things in life are the best. God doesn't make things difficult, he makes things simple and we tend to confuse and compound problems. It's the flesh of this world that confuses things.

Two final thoughts about my trip to Mexico:
  1. God is alive and well in Mexico!
  2. Kids (especially Hogar de Amor Orphans) have a lot of love to give!

No comments:

Post a Comment