Friday, April 4, 2014

Reflections on Serving - Marcia

Hi – I’m Marcia, Jamie Morningstar’s Mom (and Ben’s grandmother).  This puts me as the oldest member of the CenterPoint team.  I found this year cooler (I do suggest that June is just too warm for hard labor) and very enjoyable.  The pace was good, the food and teamwork really great and my love of God re-enforced even more!


Now the details –
  • Sunday is church day.  I noticed people hanging around the back at the end of service and was thrilled to see kids we had met on our previous trip waiting to say hi.  They not only remembered ME, but were glad to see ME and game ME hugs.  (yes, this is all about ME).  I felt that spending one week, one year ago really did make a difference in their lives!
  • Time is well balanced between the cultural (sightseeing) with the work.  I totally enjoyed the country restaurant and volcano watching on Sunday.  Shopping, eating out and walking through parks helped me to participate in the pulse Colima City.  Work was organized and fulfilling, sometimes tough!  Energy levels did tank and grace was extended for “break times”.
  • My job was to help sew 7 sets of curtains for an occupied house.  We set up our machine right there in the middle of the house!  Kids came to see what we were doing.  I don’t speak Spanish, but was able to show them what the machine could do.  Interaction with the kids was fun.  We had eager helpers un-pinning the seams, turning tabs inside out, measuring and helping to hang the finished product, all of which they understood with no language barrier.  The house parents take care of 13 kids – there isn’t much time to making things pretty.  I felt this project added to the “hominess” of the home.
  • Our meal was prepared by a different house group each day.  They took pride in serving us a good meal and I think this helped their self-esteem.  They were able to give back to the team and say thank you, by serving us.
  • I doubly enjoyed being with the CenterPoint team because I was with my family.  There is something to be said about a family serving the Lord together.  A bonding takes place which goes beyond merely being together.
  • Although I did not have much time for personal devotions, I felt the Lord’s presence throughout the day.  During our pre-trip discussions, we were reminded of how devastating it is for orphans – no family – in a culture where family is very important.  During each encounter, I prayed that the child would know that he/she was a child of the living God and that Father God loves him.  Sometimes I could even say it out loud! 
  • And of course the beach!  Love the ocean!

1 comment: