Friday, April 19, 2019

Reflections on Serving - Mark




This was my son Lucas and I’s third year going to Colima Mexico and Hogar de Amor and it did not disappoint!!

We had the privilege to go with the second week team to serve in Colima and at Hogar de Amor this year. During the second week there were ten of us total on the team which was cool! In some ways it was quite different than being part of a larger team but in other ways it wasn’t that different. Our team got to know each other and were united in our purpose there and we enjoyed serving together!

This year during our time there I really realized that the kids and caregivers at Hogar de Amor have very real struggles and problems like we all do and they really can use our prayers and knowing we continue to think of them often. In past trips I have not kept this type of thing as close to my heart during the year, most likely because life can sometimes overwhelm me.

I also really appreciated how much more time and opportunity there was to get to know the caregivers. This was very special and quite a privilege because it speaks to the relationship and trust they have with us, what an honor!



I kept a daily journal to track thoughts I had throughout the week so I could remember them during the coming year. Here are a few of those since it probably best represents some of my thoughts during my time there.
- Sunday, I found out one of the girls I had met last year was very depressed and having a hard time. She recently moved into senoritas home and it’s not been easy for her. She has no Mom or Dad. She is a soft spoken but sweet girl. Praying for her!!!
- Sunday night, we had dinner at Casa Golandrinas and Casa Famoso with amazing homemade tamales that were out of this world!! Had so much fun hanging out with Anayeli, Mariana, Marcos and Carmen!! They are so awesome and sweet!!
- Wednesday, crafts went well seemed like the kids liked it. Working on Adriana’s computer was great, indoors with cool air doing nice work...love it! Best job ever, Marcos gave me coconut ice cream while I was working on their computer. Delicioso! Guess it pays off to be a computer guy after all! ;)
- Thursday, another great day starting out with spending time with the ninos y nina’s doing songs and sports at Casa Matrice. The team also finished up all the jobs we’ve been working on. Time passed by too quickly today, at least that’s how it feels. Sometimes the hardest part of the week is still to come, saying goodbye to the kids and caregivers.
- Thursday night, saying goodbye was bittersweet with the kids and caregivers. :( Love them mucho!
- Learn and study Spanish because the kids and caregivers want to communicate more with us!!
- Take time to remember and pray for them. Do not let myself forget about them!!!!



I love Colima Mexico and Hogar de Amor, they feel like a second home in a way to me! So grateful for this opportunity in my life the Lord has given, what mercy! Thank you to everyone who prayed for us and supported us this year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment