Saturday, April 21, 2018

Reflections on Serving: Wendy

My name is Wendy Matheney and one of the things I'm good at is being selfish and staying comfortable. I went on this trip 6 years ago and I was miserable. I did not have the right attitude to go there. It was hot and the work was hard. I pretty much vowed that I wouldn't go back. Well, this year I decided if there was going to be an opening on the trip that my husband and son take each year, I was going to make myself available. I'm tired of being selfish and it is time to get uncomfortable for someone else's benefit. Well, that opportunity came and I took it. I was scared, worried that I would complain, become a burden and worried that I would upset my husband and son with that kind of attitude. Let me tell you, I prayed to God to help me be of service to someone else and to stay in that mindset and it was the most amazing trip this time. The weather was still hot and the work was still hard, but I felt joy in all of it.

My favorite scriptures of all time is James 1:2-5, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." This set of scriptures rings true in my head more times that I can even count. If I can, I have to look for the joy in all things, even the hard things. I was able to overcome being uncomfortable and working hard. It actually felt good.

Now let me tell you why it felt good this time. I was able to look into the house parents faces and realize that every day of their lives, they are serving God by serving the "least of his." They take care of children that have no families left. This is everyday for them. It is very hard work and it takes 24 hours a day. We are there to give them whatever kind of relief they might need at the time. It is usually small jobs (painting walls or furniture, laying some pavers). This time they did ask for some plumbing for a house that didn't have any running hot water. Can you imagine taking care of several boys in one household and not having running hot water for then to take baths or showers? Oh wait and the house mother is pregnant with her own child. Our team happily did that for them and the gratitude that they have is overwhelming. They just didn't have the means to do it themselves and our team was filled with joy to do that for them. To be able to give them some relief for all the hard work that they do was utter joy for me. My husband, son and grandson just helped a family paint the front of their house. They were so grateful and it just took us one and a half days to finish that part and then we moved to another house and helped that team finish the rest of painting some rooms. We had a blast all together, listening to christian music and worshiping God while serving God by serving the "least of his," that serve the "least of his."

There seems to be a theme here that I need to remind myself often. I am so blessed with the life and family that I have, that whenever I get a chance to serve someone else, I need to take it and run with it. It actually makes you feel better when you're serving someone else. Crazy, but so true! God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment