Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Reflections on Serving: Dan

My wife and I were fortunate enough to be able to bring our son and grandson on this trip. My son and I have gone every year for the last 6 years and he has grown into a man since we began going. Because he has taken 5 purposeful years of Spanish in school, he really had a very different trip from the rest of us. Because of his ability to communicate with the children and staff at the orphanage, his conversations could go so much deeper. I’m convinced that these years have helped him become a better man for the rest of his life.

My Grandson is 10 and I was excited for him to be able to understand different cultures and to meet the kids in the orphanage. These kids have very few possessions and some of the most important people in our lives (parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles) are not present in theirs. Yet the kids are very happy and full of love. I’m always amazed at how I receive more genuine, deep, meaningful hugs the week I’m in Mexico than I receive the rest of the year at home. I’m sure this experience will make a deep impact on my grandson.

For me, the daily grind tends to feel like an assembly line. Do this, then this, then this. Maybe you change it up and do that, then that, then this. At times it feels like I’m just going through the motions. Yes, I’m getting a ton done and I can measure it with my checklist (yes I’m a checklist kind of guy). However there are things that can’t be added to a checklist like: "Receive a hug from an orphan that is grateful you care for them and just wants you to hang out with them".

I can’t add add those type of things to my checklist, however I can purposefully create gaps in my schedule where those types of things are allowed to happen. My goal is to return back to the orphanage in February for two weeks (alone) to perform maintenance at the facility as well as have some quality time with the kids. Sometimes kids just need an adult to spend time with them, tell them they are important and take interest in their life. Of course those things are also important in my life with my 14 grandchildren, so this trip has also reminded me that of all the things I do and think are important in my life, relationships are of the upmost importance.

I’m fortunate to know God and to understand that He wants to be in relationship with me. I understand that he cares deeply for me and He wants to be a part of my daily life. Through this trip, I see how His love is so much deeper than my tiny life. I see how He works in so many lives, even the orphans in Mexico that are forgotten or discarded. Today I am reminded of God’s greatness and caring.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Dan, very moving, and encouraging reflections, also very encouraging working alongside you.

    ReplyDelete