Monday, April 18, 2016

Reflections on Serving - Shane

Why do we do this?

Why do we do this thing?

We take time off from school and work, travel all day by plane, bus, and taxi to come to a place, that for the new people in the group, we know nothing about. Most of us don't understand the language or recognize our surroundings. We work hard in the shadow of one of the world's most active volcanoes. And, for those like me, wonder if the next burrito is going to put me down for 3 days. We step so far out of our comfort zone that we forget what that even means for a while.

Why do we do it?

John 3:16 Tells us:
For God so loved the world that he gave His one and only Son

Our only job in Mexico is to share the love of Jesus with the children and caregivers of the orphanage. We do this by spending time playing, working, eating and living with them.

When we are doing this, we are wholly in the presence of God. And he is in the form of the children that live there.

The most difficult time comes when it is time for us to leave. It seems to get harder every year. And I have to confess, this past week has been hard on me as I miss those kids.

Why do we do this?

It's just like James 2:18 says:
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you faith, by my deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment