Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Reflections on Serving - Kelsey

My Mexico experience was different than I expected. Everyone who had been before told me that I would get more out of the experience than I would put into it but it's hard to be in that mindset before you have experienced it.

We took down donations and did all kinds of work, but the things that I am going to remember in fifty years are the kids. I'm going to tell my kids and grandkids about playing hot potato and musical chairs, about Luis giving me one of his two pictures (he was sneaky and got two photos taken), searching for letter beads to make necklaces, and Fanny asking me to sit with her at lunch.

The work that I put in isn't going to matter. Everyone there has such a capacity for love and I don't remember the last time that I have been hugged so much. It was such an amazing experience and I can't wait to go back next year and see the kids and how much they've grown and to see God's love at work in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment