Friday, June 28, 2013

Reflections on Serving - Lindsay

Our trip to Colima was a wonderful experience that was uplifting in every possible way.  It was such a privilege to serve the children and caregivers at the orphanage and have my eyes opened to life in Mexico and the Mexican people. They are doing a great service for these children and I couldn’t have been more impressed with the orphanage, the school and the care of the children.

I loved every moment spent with the children and the time working and playing with the group we traveled with. And I will always be thankful for what I learned about myself and my daughter while there.

I’ve never been an extremely confident or brave person and surprised myself VERY much at my boldness in attempting to communicate in a language I haven’t used since high school. Knowing God had given me a job to do, I was able to think less about myself and overcome shyness and insecurity for the sake of serving others. I’m sure I can accomplish many other things in my life if I remember that attitude.

Growing closer to my daughter was an added bonus. I’ve always known she likes people and enjoys being around people but a special experience on the trip made me conclude my observations are a bit more profound. She made friends with a few of the Mexican children and decided to make gifts for two of them before we left. One of the girls, a 13 yr old named Yaki was very deeply touched by my daughter's love and they both shared a lot of tears. The words they expressed to each other and to me showed me a lot about my daughter.  I believe that her ability to connect with people is a God given gift that is meant for her to bless others. I can’t wait to see her grow and realize her gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment