Saturday, May 7, 2022

Reflections on Serving - Sasha Morningstar

 This was my fifth year down to Mexico, and it was another amazing trip. Went down with a big and wonderful group this year. It was the first year that we brought down a small group from our highschool youth group, and that was a truly amazing experience to spend time with the people I love and care for from my youth group. It was amazing to show them the place that I love, and to show them it and enjoy a week with them in one of my homes away from home. Not only was our small youth group amazing to hang out with, but everyone on this trip was amazing. We had such a big range of ages, and personalities, and for me that made the trip so much fun. Because we got to experience so many different things, just being around a crew for a week almost 24/7 really impacts you. 

The biggest thing I took back from the trip this year that really struck me hard this year is: Be grateful for what you have. As a teenager there are so many things that I want that I don’t have. But there’s also stuff that I do have, and I’m very ungrateful that I have it. When I’m down in Mexico, I see the kids who either don’t have new clothes or don’t have toys or they don’t have shoes. I always feel really sad and I want to immediately give them a new toy or go take them out shopping or try and give them something I have that I don’t need. At that moment, I always have to take a step back and just watch. I realize that they're ok with the things they have. They make it work. When we're down there I always see the kids happy, and it’s always before we give out the donations. It’s when we were first there and they first met us. They don’t care about getting new clothes or toys, or anything. All they want at that moment is someone to hang out with and play, someone to talk to about things they like, and someone to love them. I realize I have so much of that love to share, and at no cost. And in the long run. That is going to be so much more helpful than a pair of shoes that are going to wear out in a week. 

For me Mexico, it’s not only a place to get away, but it’s also a place to learn and take back to America to apply to my life. This year, coming down as a highschool with three others from my youth group, really pushed me to learn and listen, and take back good and hard things from the trip, and to talk about it with people around me and to apply some of those new hard things I learned to help me become a better person in my home community.


I can’t wait to go again next year with another amazing crew and another lesson and story to bring back.


No comments:

Post a Comment