Saturday, May 7, 2022

Reflection on Serving - Marcia Reinhart

Three words: TEAM, YOUTH, FUN.

This is “my” room at Hogar de Amor. It is a tutoring classroom on the second floor of the girl’s dorm at Casa Matriz. I’ve been part of the sewing team for nine of my ten trips to the orphanage, for which I am very grateful. The room has tiles which are one foot square, perfect for cutting yards and yards of material.

This year, TEAM sewing was awesome. Kristel and I worked through each project before we started cutting. Her suggestions were spot on. Caroline said she was not an experienced sewer, but she could cut and organize and anticipate our needs. They were a treasure sent from heaven.

One project was to sew 21 waterproof mattress covers for the under 5 kids at Casa Cuna. Black became the new infant color since that was the only material the store had in the quantity we needed. The fitted sheets were perfect and the mattresses are now protected for another 6 years. (A team 6 years ago made the mattress covers which were well worn). A quick explanation – the mattresses are not a standard size and sheets can no longer be purchased to fit them.

We also sewed curtains for 8 windows (the sun is so hot they appreciate sun block curtains), a tablecloth and repaired numerous articles of clothing.

Speaking of team, our YOUTHFUL craft team was such a joy. Jess and Kalista created interesting and easy crafts for the kids. Easy was important for me, as I’m not very crafty.  They let the grandmother have FUN with the kids while they attended to the details. Cassidy and I had a blast. I can see the ministry at Hogar de Amor continuing for years with the next generations having a heart for the kids. 

Did I say FUN? That was my goal this year, to enjoy each moment and not stress over the jobs. Check – mission accomplished!



No comments:

Post a Comment